|September 2021: Happy Fall y’all!|
Hopefully everybody is doing well and staying safe with the storm at the Gulf Coast and the persistent COVID-19 threat! Which leads to the News…
Lunacy: reEntry 2021 has been cancelled due to critical shortages in essential safety volunteer teams.
Obviously, grave concern about the current COVID-19 Public Health Threat Level is also a factor.
The COVID threat level in Texas is partly driving the volunteer shortages. With the rise of the Delta variant, some leads and other volunteers had to cancel their plans to volunteer. Even with the planned reduced event population size and after minimizing the number of longer shifts, organizers were only able to cover 25% of shifts in each critical safety department.
The good news is that volunteers have an amazing head start on planning the next UnBroken Spring. Many departments gained new leadership and new volunteers. Several camps made plans for the event and are planning to bring new infrastructure. The effigy crew is renewed and excited to build and burn. Art grant proposals have been coming in, and can hopefully continue (see more below).
Huge THANK YOU to all the volunteers that have already given their time and expertise to putting reEntry together with such hopeful and proud hearts!
And huge THANK YOU also to every participant, artist, burner or burner-curious who picked up a ticket and filled up their dance card with Houston Burners. Together, WE WILL SURVIVE!
The final accounting for Lunacy: reEntry will need to be completed to know the remaining value of each ticket, as some minimal expenses have already been paid out that are not transferable to the next UBS. Each Ticket Value will be the same for all participants and will be as close to full value as possible after accounting for prepaid expenses.
After the lessons of the 2020 cancellation process: THIS WILL BE DIFFERENT! The 3 options below will hopefully be more equitable and simpler for all:
1. Donate your Ticket Value to ART at the next unBroken Spring: every penny donated will go to the art grant proposal of your choice. Art grant proposals are still open and you can apply your donation to the project of your choice. Watch for Art Grant details in the upcoming Lunacy email about your Ticket Value options.
2. Rollover your Ticket Value over to the next unBroken Spring. ***Know that a vaccine requirement is expected to be the norm by 2022, TBD as pandemic evolves.***
3. Refund your Ticket Value. Ticket holders will be contacted directly via email used for ticket purchase WATCH THE EMAIL ADDRESS USED TO PURCHASE YOUR TICKET FOR UPDATES AND PROCEDURES AND DEADLINES. Please keep in mind that everything about UBS is volunteer run– even the accounting. (If your campmates who bought tickets never check their email, tell them to check their email.)
BURNERS WITHOUT BORDERS
Another hurricane season has started. Do you know what to do? Are you prepared?
BwB Houston is geared up and ready to assist its community in responding to natural disasters. Look to the BWB Houston Facebook group for announcements on what we are doing and how to get involved as a volunteer. Hurricane Ida recently devastated multiple cities and towns in Louisiana.
Currently, BwB Houston is facilitating collection and transportation of needed supplies to our neighbors to the east. The immediate needs are for donations of non-perishable food, bottled water, roofing cap nails, and tarps.
Contact us through Facebook to coordinate a donation drop off or bring your donations to church night.
DONATIONS may also be made to non-profit BWB-Houston Paypal account– and note that this was set up for Hurricane Laura relief but donations go directly to BWB-Houston efforts for disaster relief.
August 2021: The Houston Burners’ non-profit is pleased to announce the newest Director of the Board, Clover aka Michael Bradley.
About this burner: Clover has been burning since 2006, immersing in theme camp and event volunteering since day one. His self-reported primary areas of uselessness are Operations and Safety, where he can usually be found on grave shift any given night. He does stuff, he is not in charge. Email Clover@houstonburners.org or catch him at the warehouse.
Due to the recent CDC updates regarding mask usage, please wear mask when indoors at the warehouse whether fully vaccinated or not.
Lunacy: reEntry is a three day camping-event October 8-10, 2021 in southeast Texas dedicated to art, music, fire and radical self expression.
Tickets are Now On Sale! Go to the Lunacy page to purchase tickets.
Lunacy Work Weekends will adhere to the same COVID-19 guidelines as for Lunacy: reEntry 2021. There will be a Gate at each work weekend and everyone will need to check in upon arrival. For more details head to the Work Weekends page.
August 9, 2021 After consultation with local health authorities, the decision has been made to re-open ticket sales for Lunacy: reEntry 2021.
2016 Johanna St. Community Warehouse
Current activity at the warehouse includes Warehouse Wednesdays. The CDC guidelines have recently changed to recommend that all individuals where masks when indoors, whether vaccinated or not. We are monitoring public announcements from the Harris County Health website. If you are interested in small group access please contact email@example.com.
Coronavirus precautions: radically inclusive with cautionary actions to ensure the safety of our diverse participants. RESPECT:
- Consent matters- Ask, rather than assume, if it is OK to hug, touch, or be in someone’s space.
- Wear your face mask! to protect others who may be at high risk
- Maintain social distance.
- Distanced street parking leaves more space on the “patio” to talk outside and make some plans
- Best practices include: Disinfection of spaces before and after small gatherings, A collaborative intention to keep everyone safe. Handwashing and staying home when feeling COVID like symptoms or following known COVID exposure.
- If you feel unsafe, say so and find a way to make it better for everyone
- Board members all have keys and will be the leads on the micro meetups this month
- Sign up for a micro meetup HERE!
- Bring a face covering and wash your hands!
- Come explore the work space and build some dreams for future teamwork.
S E E Y ‘ A L L T H E R E ! ! ! !
If you’re looking for info from announcements over the past year, please visit our archival page > Past Announcements.