Update Feb 7:
Nominations for Houston Burners board members have closed, the nominees have all been contacted, and six of them have expressed interest in serving. Now, we'd like to get your feedback about the candidates. Read the complete announcement, and send us your comments.
Update Feb 3:
Second Tier tickets for Unbroken Spring have gone on sale! Get yours before they're gone...
Update Jan 25:
First Tier tickets for Unbroken Spring have sold out. We'll announce via the usual channels when the Second Tier goes on sale.
Update Jan 16
The Houston Burners website is due for an overhaul, and we're going for people interested in taking that on. Read the complete announcement on the site. If you're interested in getting involved with website development, or content, or maintenance, let us know by filling out the form you find there.
Update Jan 13:
We are accepting nominations from the community for the Houston Burners board of directors. Visit this page to read about it and access the nomination form. Nominations are due by midnight January 27th.
Happy New Year!
The Houston Burners non-profit has big changes afoot, starting NOW!
The mission of Houston Burners is to hold space to light and sustain the flame of Burning Man's culture and Principles in the greater Houston community and to facilitate community artistic goals to that end.
The vision of Houston Burners is to educate and empower an inclusive and active community, guided by Burning Man's 10 principles to explore and develop art, culture, and self-expression.
Every new year brings new beginnings. Here's what's new in 2019:
- Our primary focus for the year is the Houston Burner warehouse and Unbroken Spring.
- The board elected new officers at the beginning of this year. Please join us in welcoming Mike Eros as President, Heidi Lehto as Secretary, and Kathleen Keahey as Treasurer.
- After two and a half years of service, three of the board's Directors have resigned, making way for new volunteers to join the board. Please join us in thanking Andrew Lin, Andy Brown, & Greg Goodman for their passionate volunteerism and tireless work.
- Nominations for new board members will open this week. Read on for more information.
- There will be a town hall meeting at the warehouse on Sunday 13 Jan at 4pm to focus on the community's hopes and plans for the new year. Come one, come all!
We are recruiting volunteers to serve on the Houston Burners board of directors. If you're wondering what a board member does, their current responsibilities consist primarily of handling legal and liability matters and financials for the Houston Burner warehouse and Unbroken Spring. The board has spent time over the last few months doing succession planning, laying the groundwork to replace ourselves on the board, and establish a process for managing turnover.
And that’s where YOU come in.
- The goal is to add between 3 and 6 new board members in 2019. This will be accomplished in 2 nomination periods, the first starting this month (before Unbroken Spring) and the second in October (after Burning Man). Bringing new members on will be staggered with the departure of board members stepping down.
- Look for details this week on what the board is, what board members do, and how to nominate yourself or someone else for the job. The nomination process begins this week, should be complete in February, and new board members seated in March of this year.
See y’all at church nite!
Curious about what else Houston Burners are planning in 2019? Click on the link below to join us as a member and learn more about events, art, education, and collaborative opportunities. And of course we’ll keep you in the loop on board nominations and business too. Looking forward to meeting you!